How to Use an Electric Lawn Edger? Tips From Expert
The electric edger, also known as trimmers, are machines specially designed specifically for cutting (as its name implies) roadsides, beds, fences, garages, sheds and all boundary edge between the lawn and any cement less area. An edge arrives at those places where the lawn mower can’t reach and is also part of the garden tools with which it is counted either domestically or commercially.
In another article we talk in a general and introductory way about these very useful machines, in this, we will deal with various topics of interest about this tool that has more to do with applications and practical recommendations. We will indicate some tips to take into account to select the right electric edger, what are the uses we can give to this machine, how to use it correctly and some recommendations for its maintenance. Contributor: ExpertHomeTools.Com
Applications and uses of electric edger’s
The edgers, thanks to their design, can be used for other tasks besides cutting the edge of the grass. They can be used, for example, to define or retouch the shape of ornamental plants. In this section we will indicate other uses that can be given to this machine.
Mark a new garden
To create a new garden, the first step to take is to decide the place it will occupy.
The site should be selected with care that there are no electrical connections or pipes and that it is not a swampy place. In case the orchard should be located in a marshy area, it is best to raise the ground before starting.
The next step is to mark the location of the garden. This can be done with the use of ropes, spray paint or chalk. Once the location is drawn, the edger is used to define the edges of the garden, thus facilitating the work of digging. You must start from the outer side of the marked area.
Once the cut for marking has been completed, the second cut must be made at a distance of 2.5 cm from the first cut and from the inner side of the cut. This second cut should be made with a gentle slope, towards the first cut. This with the aim of obtaining a narrow strip of grass that can be easily extracted.
Finally we proceed to remove the strip of grass of 2.5 cm., Which gives the frame of the new garden. Read more.
Define again the edge of a flower orchard
Sometimes the edges of the flower gardens deteriorate, so it is a good idea to keep them or redefine them with the use of the electric edger.
To do this, we proceed by cutting a new edge at a distance of 2.5 cm. of the current edge. If the edge is badly damaged, the distance for the new cut must be greater than 2.5 cm.
At the end of the first cut, proceed with the second cut, which must be done on the garden side. As in the previous application, the idea is to obtain a strip of grass that can be extracted.
Finally, the strip of grass is removed and the flower orchard will have a new border. If some type of mulch is used for the area of the orchard, it must be redistributed to cover the new extension of the orchard.
You can proceed in a similar way, if what you want is to extend the area of an existing garden.
Use and proper maintenance of the electric edger
Before starting work
- Read the instructions for use of the equipment.
- Verify that the workplace is clean and tidy, work areas in disorder can cause accidents and injuries.
- Do not use the tool on wet or damp ground.
- Do not work with the tool in the rain.
- Check the electrical connection of the place where the machine will be used.
- The equipment should not be used if the cable is damaged or has an irregularity.
- You should not use the trimmer without the protective skirt.
- It must be verified that all parts of the equipment are in excellent condition.
- Third parties must be kept out of the risk zone, approximately 10 meters away.
During the execution of work
- The use of lenses, gloves, protective shoes and dust mask is recommended.
- Avoid contact of the tool with walls, stones and sidewalks.
- Do not use the machine for any other work. Only use it for the tasks for which it was designed.
- If the lawn is very tall, the cut must be done in stages to avoid overloading the tool.
- Verify that the ventilation holes are free of debris.
- Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry; they may get caught in the moving parts of the tool.
- Keep the machine cable away from oil, heat and sharp edges.
After the work was executed
- Do not pull on the power cable to disconnect the tool from the connection point.
- Turn off the equipment and clean the grass located under the housing.
- Check for loose or defective parts.
- Store the tool in a dry place, out of the reach of children and people who do not know the equipment.
- All maintenance and cleaning should be done with the equipment disconnected.
- Do not use a jet of water to clean the machine. Wet the tool using a sponge or damp cloth and a neutral detergent.
- Follow the lubrication instructions and change the corresponding accessories.
- Check cables constantly and replace them if damaged.
- Keep the tool clean and free of oil and grease.
With the selection, use and proper maintenance of this useful tool , you can work constantly and efficiently in your garden, obtaining and enjoying a green and clean area.