How To Use Oscillating Tool In A Proper Way Without Any Risk
There are several risks that are hidden during the use of any power tool, such as the multipurpose or oscillating tool. Some of these risks are an electric shock, fire, and even a serious injury to the operator.
That is why essential safety measures must be taken, before, during and after the use of the tool, to execute a job correctly and with a minimum level of risk.
In this article, we will discuss how to use oscillating tool in a proper way. And also the various aspects of prevention that you should consider, during the execution of any work with the use of an oscillating tool.
Top Contributor: Juicerbase.com
Correct use of the multipurpose tool
To make proper use of the oscillating tool, the following guidelines must be followed:
- The oscillating tool should only be used to implement the works for which it was made.
- Only the tool and its accessories should be used if they are in good condition.
- Do not overload the device.
- Use ear protection and gloves to secure yourself.
- While working, keep the appliance away from the body.
- Never place your hands in the vicinity of the work area.
- To fix or change the accessories of the tool, it must be turned off. The instructions in the user manual must be followed.
- Once the work is finished, the appliance must be turned off.
- Store in a dry, dark place protected from frost. Keep out of reach of children.
- Before making regulations or cleaning, the tool must be disconnected.
- Perform the maintenance of the tool and clean it regularly.
Maintenance of the multipurpose tool
As with other electric tools, the maintenance of the best oscillating tool is vital for its proper functioning and to extend its useful life. To carry out a proper maintenance, only the following recommendations should be taken into account:
- Minimize dirt and dust in safety devices, such as ventilation slots and the motor cover.
- Clean the multipurpose tool with a clean, damp cloth and a little mild soap.
- The most recommended is to clean the device after each use.
- To clean the tool, never use cleaning products or solvents, these will damage the plastic parts.
- Best way to keep any tools organized is to use proper tool belts or tool boxes. When you're in electrical work, use electrical tool belt. Again after you finish the work, keep the tools in a tool box.
- It is very important to prevent water from getting into the tool.
- When it is required to change the carbon brushes of the tool, you should contact a specialized electrician. The excessive generation of sparks during the execution of the work indicates the need for revision of the brushes.
Taking into account this information, you can correctly select your multipurpose, or oscillating, electric tool.
Safety in the work area
- You should make sure to keep the work area clean and with good lighting. A place of work in disorder and with poor lighting can cause accidents.
- Do not use the tool in an area where there is a danger of explosion. Your workplace should be free of liquid fuels, gases or powdered material. During work with the multipurpose tool, sparks can occur that can burn inflammable materials.
- You must keep other people and especially children away from your work area while using the power tool. The slightest distraction can make you lose control of the oscillating tool and generate injuries.
- You should make sure that the outlet you are going to use corresponds to the plug of the tool. Under no circumstances should you modify the plug.
- You should not use adapters if your tool is provided with a ground connection.
- During the use of the oscillating tool, you must avoid that your body makes contact with elements connected to ground such as radiators, refrigerators, kitchens or pipes. This with the aim of avoiding an electric shock.
- You must avoid that the tool is exposed to any type of liquid. If any liquid substance enters the interior of the device, the risk of electrocution is very high.
- While working with the oscillating tool, you must make sure that the power cable is away from oils, sharp objects or heat. This keeps the cable in good condition and avoids a possible electric shock.
- If it is necessary to use an extension cable to use the tool, you must make sure that the cable is appropriate, especially if you are working outdoors.
- In case you must use the multipurpose tool in a humid environment, you must connect it by means of a differential fuse. This reduces the risk of an electric shock.
- During the performance of any work with the oscillating tool, you must remain attentive and maintain a preventive behavior. You should not use the tool if you feel tired, or after the intake of alcohol or medication.
- You must use personal protective equipment, which consists of a protective glasses, protective gloves, a mask, hearing protectors, a helmet and safety boots in case the work warrants it. You may also use your best welding boots to ensure more comfort and safety when working.
- Verify that the tool is in "off" mode, before connecting it to the outlet, when installing the accumulator, when holding it without working, and when moving it from one place to another.
- Remove any fixed wrench or adjustment tool before connecting the tool to electrical power. This will prevent possible injuries when turning on the working instrument.
- Make sure you maintain a safe and firm posture while using the multipurpose tool, this will give you better control of the device.
- Use proper clothing while you are executing your work. Avoid wearing loose clothes, jewelry, and loose hair. Any of these elements can get stuck in the moving parts of the tool, causing serious accidents.
- If you can, you can use suction or dust collection equipment. This reduces the dangers generated by dust.
Safety during the use of the oscillating tool
- Before putting the tool into use you must validate that its moving parts work correctly and that they do not present any damage. In case any piece is damaged, it must be reviewed by an expert or must be replaced.
- Verify that the tool switch is in perfect condition before starting to use it. In case of any problem, you should have it reviewed by the expert staff.
- Validate that the piece on which you are going to work, is fixed or secured by means of the use of fasteners, never with your hands.
- You should only use the oscillating tool to perform dry jobs.
- You should not overload the tool during its use. You only have to use the multipurpose tool for the jobs that she can perform, without exceeding the indicated power limit.
- Keep your hands outside the cutting area of the tool. You should not try to play the piece you are working on while the instrument is in operation.
- Use protective gloves to change the working accessories of the tool. These get hot during use.
- It is highly recommended that you empty the dust container frequently, as this can catch fire on its own if any spark is projected to it during the use of the oscillating tool.
- Once the work is finished, you should carefully clean each one of the accessories used, as well as the oscillating tool.
- Store the multipurpose tool in a safe area, without moisture and out of the reach of children.
Following all these recommendations you can work with the multipurpose tool correctly and under the right conditions. In this way, you can protect both your physical integrity and the good state of your work instrument.