3 Tips To Staying In A Hostel For The First Time
Hostels are incredible places to meet people and have a bed for sleeping without spending a lot of money. You can find boutique hostels in Venice, party hostels in Budapest, decorated hostels like prisons in Goa or hostels that are even better than hotels like in Lisbon.
However, although the hostels are fun and incredible places to enjoy adventures, you have to have some considerations to make your trip memorable and not a disaster.
Here you have the best tips for staying in a hostel.
Essential basic equipment for a hostel.
Unlike hotels, when you stay in a hostel you will have to carry a minimum indispensable equipment to survive and have a pleasant stay, that would be:
- Towel: Most hostels will not give you a free towel like in the hotels. Some of them will rent it and only luxury ones will give it free. The advice is that you always carry a small towel for quick drying- This is part of the basic equipment.
- Sandals or any comfortable shoes: If you plan to stay in a hostel, where the shower is probably shared, then sandals are necessary. The comfortable shoe that allows you mobilize easily is essential, since not all hostels have an elevator and you may need to go up and down stairs frequently.
- Padlock: Most hostels will give you a place to store your things. Many of them will provide you with a padlock, although not all. So, it is recommended that you have a small or large padlock, depending on your tastes to protect your belongings.
There are certain things that will help you sleep in any situation.
- Sleeping mask: It is a good option if you share your room with other people. It will help you protect yourself if someone enters the room at night and you are sleeping, since it will prevent you from waking up.
- Earplugs: They are ideal to be able to have adequate noise isolation, since many of your roommates can snore at night.
- Travel sheet: It is a fundamental element, taking into account that many hostels do not have the necessary hygiene. Of course, this will depend on the level of the hostel. Some may even be better than a hotel, but in the case of the most economical ones, the own suit is a good option.
- Travel bag: If you plan to travel to places with cold weather, then a sleeping bag is recommended, which will give you some extra protection for those cold nights.
In addition to travel equipment, the choice of a mattress is another fundamental point to consider.
Currently, the twin mattress can have different designs. There are a variety of models with different colors and materials. Some are conventional, minimalist or have an extravagant form. They can be designed in square or in a traditional way: one on top of the other. The modern and most popular model consists of two beds, one on top of the other, whose shapes and sizes are similar. This type of proposal focuses more on the functional and is a great complement for small spaces.
In addition, you can buy a twin mattress which is very affordable and you can save space while you sleep comfortably.
Currently, you can buy some models made of high quality wood. There are also metal or iron-based ones. This option is more resistant and does not need a lot of maintenance. In addition, it is usually cheaper.
Another fundamental point is that you can arrange a railing to avoid accidents. A ladder will help you; so it will be easy to climb, and, of course, very safe.
Twin mattresses also come with a small closet or drawers. This alternative is the most successful if you want to save more space. In addition to being a place to sleep and store clothes, you can include an area with a desk to work or study. The options are numerous and everything depends on the dimensions of the place in which you stay, your budget, and needs.
Keep in mind these basic points if you hope for staying in a hostel for the first time that gives you comfort while saving money.